Hi,

I have a site with URL's that look something like:

http://www.mysite.com/page.cfm?id=12345&parm1=value1&parm2=......

The id= parameter tells the cms which page to display, while the other parameters may or may not exist. I would like to use the id= parameter as part of the page dimension. Using the Dynamic Page feature just moves the entire query string into the page dimension, which doesn't seem to help very much (and it removes the rest of the query string for other analysis!)

I ended up using the URL search and replace feature to create a reugular expression to isolate the id= parameter.  I believe that my next step would be to rewrite the entire request string so that the id= parameter becomes part of the page name, i.e on the left side of the "?".

Am I on the right track here?  I feel like I am making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Thanks,

Scott

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you need the other parameters? - it would be fairly easy to S+R them out of the way.

I'd generally leave the URL pristine - there's all sorts of cases where it may be useful (and I think I see why you may want to do this, if you want to do page title lookups (see my other 'reply'))

What you're suggesting may well work (and it's worth a shot), but can you let us know why you want to do this? It may be there's a better way.
Thanks Bob - I'm always looking for a better way :)

My thinking goes something like this:

1. Doing nothing would just leave me with page.cfm as the page dimension, and I would not be able to see the visited page until I view the page breakdown. The page breakdown would work ok if ID was the only parameter in the query string, but most times, it is not. (I should mention that I am using log files in this case, not page tag files)

2. If I could augment the page name so that it would look like page-12345.cfm (instead of just page.cfm) Then I could use a page name look-up or rewrite conduit to assign a meaningful name for reporting. I see this as offering the following advantages:

a. Meaningful page names in all canned reports - page-12345.cfm (or page.cfm?ID=12345) will only have meaning to the web developer.
b. Proper creation of paths, entry pages, exit pages, etc. that is based on the page dimension
c. I would still have access to other query string parameters for deeper analysis

I hope that explains the "why" part a little better. Let me know if I have just created more confusion!

Thanks, Scott
Is your situation such that you could use a data conduit to lookup the page id?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Wendy Ertter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service