Hi,

I have run into a problem.  I recently installed Netinsight on Linux/Oracle. When installing Netinsight I set my character set to AL32UTF8 and the installation proceeded without a hitch.  I set up and imported my profiles with no problem.  I soon noticed some character related issues preventing data import however.  Rechecking my character set I noticed it was AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 and not AL32UTF8 (which I suspect is because the installer wanted AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8 instead of just AL32UTF8 and then defaulted to WE8ISO8859P1.)

So... Now I need to change my character sets.  Can I just change the env variable NLS_LANG to AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8 or is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

Steve

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Steve,

There is a bit more to do - you'll need to tell the NetInsight profiles what to expect and then (probably) -clobber the profiles and  re-load data (as what's already been loaded may not be correct.

I don't have any docs to hand, but I *think* it's all in one of the guides, or is that the one that tells you to contact Unica/IBM support?

Let us know how it goes, if you're still having any trouble tomorrow post something here and I'll post something here (or someone else with access to the docs will have already done so)

-bob

That's the one that tells you to contact Unica/IBM support.  I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that and could get away with switching it on the fly.

I really don't want to have to re-import unless it's absolutely necessary (too many profiles with too much historical data)

Decisions,Decisions.

Damn - I know it's not ideal, but I think you'll have to face a -clobber and import at some point.

Do you have a non-live install to test on?

Fortunately I do.  I've switched the character sets on the dev installation/profile and I'm going to run a test tomorrow (when I get my new logs) and see if it messes anything on update.  

Thanks for your help by the way Bob!

I believe that the profile will need a -clobber to delete and re-create the tables (that's what I'd do anyway).

-bob

I just wanted to report back.  I took the risk and updated the character set in the NetTracker.cfg file.  So far we have not had any major issues and we're about 2 weeks in now.

Steve - thanks for reporting back.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Wendy Ertter.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service